With half of every year spent in Ireland and John hailing from the country, Irish art and culture have a huge impact on our design and our lives.
- Gales Storm Diana Hits Wexford, Ireland this Wednesday. I have a favor to ask, please.Hi guys Hi everyone or anyone as the case may be. I haven’t posted for a month now…trouble with internet…Ireland IS still having big issues with broadband in rural areas. While I am lucky to be close to a tower; lots of people in rural Ireland are not, and they have absolutely no INTERNET… Unfortunately, I am also having […]
- A Sunday Drive in WexfordIf the weather is nice and it’s not pissing down rain; we like to take a Sunday afternoon drive. We try to find a new road or area to explore. I remain amazed at how many little side roads and laneways are found in this little area of Enniscorthy. Oylegate is just one small village in the townland area. As you can see from this map insert, […]
- Redesign an Antique in Ireland- Demonstration Part IIIn my last post, I showed you an old mahogany dressing table John found at Neville’s Antiques and Collectibles in Wellington Bridge, Wexford; our favorite pickers place. It had been left out in the yard and it was rain-soaked and missing a top. After drying out in the workshop with a nearby heater, John started to work on the little […]
- How we Redesign an Antique- Step one go to Picker Place- TutorialWe have had readers ask us how we do a redesign and what does that mean. For us, in a redesign, John takes an antique something and remakes it as something unintended; repurposed. A good example is seen in the vintage sewing machine tables. John takes the cast iron bases of the machine and makes a wooden top, or he takes the sewing machine […]
- What do you call a flock of European Goldfinch????Well, the Irish Autumn has arrived; chasing the beautiful Indian Summer down the laneway. So sorry to see her go. Autumn is a mixed bag here. She brings beautiful and rich colors and an infrequent golden sunlight but she also heralds the horrors of gale force winds, horizontal rain, and eventually hurls you into winter. I hope to find an apple […]